top of page
  • Bob KØNR

Get a Vanity Call Sign

A common question I hear from new hams is “how do I get a vanity call sign?” The process is probably harder than it needs to be but certainly something any ham can do. In this article, I’ll keep things as simple as possible, focusing on what a new ham must do to get a vanity call. As part of the new FCC license application fees, there is now a $35 charge for an amateur vanity application. (It used to be free.)

The basic steps to getting your special call sign are:

1. Choose one or more call signs that you’d like. 2. Find your FCC Registration Number (FRN) 3. Log onto the FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS) 4. Apply using “Request Vanity Call Sign”

5. Pay the FCC license application fee

To go deeper on this topic take a look at the ARRL page, which describes the vanity call sign program in greater detail.

1. Choose A Call Sign

The first step is probably the most fun, choosing what call sign you’d like to have. I chose my callsign KØNR because of its short length and the traditional KØ prefix. My buddy Stu chose the call sign WØSTU to match his name. Steve WGØAT chose his call sign to reflect his passion for hiking with pack goats. Many people choose a call sign with their initials in it. You certainly may have other ideas on what constitutes the right call sign for you.

Tech and General class licensees are allowed to choose either a 1×3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or a 2×3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W), referred to by the FCC as call sign Groups C and D. Of course, you must choose a call sign that is not assigned, which you can check by doing a search on the FCC ULS web site. RadioQTH has a useful tool for searching for available call signs.

You should probably choose a few call signs that you’d be happy with and submit them in order of preference (see #4 below). Your first choice may not be available for a number of reasons, such as someone else may have just applied for it.

2. Find Your FCC Registration Number (FRN)

If you have an FCC radio license, you have an FRN. It was probably assigned to you when your license was first issued. Think of this as your user name for the ULS web site. To find your FRN, search for your call sign on the ULS page.

3. Log onto the FCC ULS

Next you need to log into the ULS, which will probably be the most difficult part of the process — select the Online Filing login option. You’ll need your FRN and your password for the site. Hopefully, you just found your FRN but you may not have a password assigned yet. If not, you’ll need to follow the Forgot Your Password? instructions on this page and get assistance.

4. Request a Vanity Call Sign

Once you log into ULS, it should show you a list of licenses assigned to your FRN. You probably only have one, so click on that one to open the License Manager page. You should see a blue menu box near the right edge of the page, titled Work on This License. This menu box includes a Request Vanity Call Sign selection. Continue past the ‘Applicant Questions’ page (answer ‘no’ to each) to the ‘Select Eligibility’ page. Select your category, most commonly Primary station preference list unless you are requesting a vanity call formerly held by you or a close relative. Continue to the next page to provide a list, in order of preference, of vanity call signs you would prefer to be assigned. Continue through the remaining self-explanatory steps of the application process after you have entered your set of preferred call signs.

5. Pay the FCC Application Fee

Follow the FCC instructions on how to pay the $35 application fee.

This should get your application into the FCC for your call sign. It will probably take a few weeks to get action from the FCC, so be patient. Good luck with your new call!

73, Bob K0NR


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page